Korowal has a well-deserved reputation for excellence in the creative and performing arts - drama, visual arts, music and creative writing. We have had remarkable success in competitions and exhibitions such as Art Express, Onstage and the Shakespeare Festival.
There are several reasons for our success in these areas:
- We attract inspirational teachers and talented students who are drawn to Korowal because we take the creative arts seriously and provide an environment conducive to creative work.
- As with all our teaching, we take time to make sure that the foundational skills are strongly in place and that quality work is an expectation for every student. To this end, we ensure that quality materials are always provided.
- Creative work is integrated into our everyday curriculum, from kindergarten onwards. This enables us to develop the creative potential of every student. Throughout the school, learning is brought to life by dramatisations, art and music.
- The success of integrating creative work into the everyday curriculum is reflected in the consistent quality of our students' work, creative writing, music, and performance; and in the confidence with which they display and perform their work.
There are two reasons why we value the creative and performing arts:
- The first is that there is a well-documented link between the development of creativity and the development of other academic abilities and critical thought. The linking of creative and academic intelligence will be more important in the 21st century than ever before, due to the dynamic and unpredictable nature of work.
- The second is that creativity is valuable for its own sake. It is at the heart of what makes us human - how we express ourselves; and how we find fulfilment.